Monica Sharma Menon
BA (Hons), MA (Applied Linguistics), Dip Ed
The Words Worth Curriculum and Pedagogical Programme is designed by Monica Menon. Monica is a trained educator and facilitator who crafts and delivers various Teacher Education Programmes and curriculum designs for tertiary institutions and adult educators both in Singapore and in the
region. Her career in education spans almost 30 years and includes teaching English Language and Communications at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
She was awarded a full scholarship by the National Institute of Education (Singapore) to do her Masters degree by research. Upon completion, Monica moved on to Teacher Education and Consultancy. She currently supervises student teachers and tutors on various courses for the English Language and Literature Academic Group, National Institute of Education, Singapore.
Prior to working as a professional Teacher Educator and Facilitator, her last appointment with the Ministry of Education (Singapore) was Head of Department at Cedar Girls’ Secondary School, a premier girls’ school in Singapore. In her role as a leader in education, she has provided many educators and fledging school leaders with professional guidance and personal development, in order to ensure they are able to carry out their pedagogical skills and curriculum design effectively.
She has worked with various brand name institutions and organisations, such as the British Council (Singapore) Hodder Education and Cambridge Assessments (Singapore) to craft curriculum materials and deliver seminars to teachers in the South East Asian region, namely in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand. At Words Worth, she evaluates the Teaching Methods and Pedagogy.
In 2010, Monica started her own preschool centre in Medan, Indonesia, (www.riteglobaledu.com) which caters to the holistic language development of children aged 4 to 7. In 2017, she founded Words Worth (www.wordsworth.sg), an English Language and Literature enrichment centre in Singapore. The approach adopted for the centre is that of interactive learning catering to the Multiple Intelligence of students and their varying Learning Styles. The centre offers programmes for students sitting the various Cambridge Exams, including the GCE ‘O’ and ‘A’ Levels, the IGCSE and the International Baccalaureate (IB). Additionally, the centre offers courses in preparation courses for entrance exams for IELTS and the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS) offered by the Ministry of Education (Singapore).
In 2016, Monica worked with the British Council (Singapore) on their Secondary English Language Curriculum and later in 2017 she worked on their Primary Curriculum.
She was the Vice–President of the English Language and Literature Teacher’s Association (Singapore) from 2005 to 2010. In 2013, she authored an upper secondary comprehension book “All About English: Upper Secondary Comprehension” which is currently being used in more than 15 schools in Singapore. In 2017, she produced the lower secondary version together with Hodder Education.
Monica’s firm grounding in pedagogy and the ability to marry theory with practice has enabled her to pursue her passion in curriculum design and mentorship in order to improve the quality of English Language teaching and learning in Singapore and in the Asia Pacific Region.
- Master of Arts (Applied Linguistics)
- Bachelors of Arts (Hons)
- Diploma in Education
- Certificate in Education
- Li, J.Y., Green, N., Menon, M. (2008). Professional Practice: Partnering with Educators, Professionals and Families. In Wright, S., Cohen, L., (Eds), Special Education: Perspectives and Practices (68-82). Singapore: Pearson.
- Menon, S.M. (2009). Evaluating Project Work: Research Tools for Schools, Committees & Supervising Tutors. In Pillai, A.D. & Ellis, M. (Eds), Project Work: Exploring Practices, Processes and Strategies (177-183). Singapore: Pearson.
- Menon, S.M. (2013). All About English: Upper Secondary Comprehension. Singapore: Pearson
- Walker. Z, Menon. M, Michael, M (2015). Engaging Parents: A Practical Approach for Education Officers. Academy of Teachers. Singapore: Ministry of Education
Institutions and Organisations Served (Overseas)
- Anglo-Singapore International School (Bangkok)
- Alaudin Islamic State University (South Sulawesi_
- Indonesian Creative School (Pekan Baru)
- Briton (Makassar, Indonesia)
- Medan Pustaka Mas (Medan, Surabaya, Pekan Baru)
- GPEX Sdn Bhd (Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru)
- Turbo One
- Engaging Parents: A Practical Approach Singapore
- Enterprise Business Consulting Asia
- Inland Revenue Authority
- Educational Psychology
- Language Teaching Approaches
- Teacher as Leader
- Teacher as Researcher
Institutions Served In Singapore
- National Institute of Education
- Nanyang Institute of Management
- Singapore Polytechnic
- Cedar Girls’ Secondary
- CHIJ Katong Convent Primary
- MOE – South 4 Cluster
- Stamford Primary
- Fairfield Methodist Secondary
- Eden School
- Pathlight School
Community Service and Projects
- Language Reviewer: Principles of Accounts (Syllabus 2014 and Teaching and Learning Guide) – A project in collaboration with Curriculum Planning and Development Division, Ministry of Education, Singapore
- Vice President – English Language and Literature Teachers’ Association Singapore (2005-2010)
Richa is a trained educator and facilitator who crafts and delivers various English Language and Literature programmes and designs curriculum for educational institutions and adult educators both in Singapore and regionally.
Additionally, she is trained in both Public Relations & Mass Communication as well as the International Baccalaureate (IB). She teaches English Language and English Literature at the secondary and pre-university level. In her role in education, she has provided many students with professional guidance and personal development, in order to ensure they are able to achieve their English Language learning goals effectively. This is because she has a background in accommodating children with special educational needs in the mainstream setting.
Richa has delivered seminars to teachers in the South East Asian region, namely in Malaysia and Indonesia, to help them hone their teaching skills. She has also conducted workshops for parents to train them to better handle their children’s English Language learning.
In 2009, Richa was awarded the Ministry of Education Teaching Award. Upon completion of her course at the National Institute of Education (Singapore), she went on to teach in secondary schools in Singapore. She is currently the Princiapl at Words Worth, an English Language and Literature enrichment centre in Singapore. Her area of specialisation in English Language and Literature includes the GCE ‘O’ Level, IGCSE, and IB Programmes and she is involved in the designing and implementing of the curriculum materials.
Additionally, she has designed the curriculum for the other courses that the centre offers, namely the preparation courses for entrance exams including the Admission Screening Test (AST) for the BCA Academy and the Admissions Exercise for International Students (AEIS) offered by the Ministry of Education (Singapore).
Richa has also worked with the Rajaratnam School of International Studies to provide copywriting and editing services. She continues to write articles and design lesson materials for Beyond and Horizons Magazines – two publications for secondary school children that are circulated in 35 schools.
Richa’s deep understanding of the various syllabuses coupled with her experiences in accommodating diverse learners has enabled her to provide a high quality of teaching instruction to all learners. She is dedicated to providing the highest quality of English Language education to students in Singapore and the region.
- Briton (Makassar, Indonesia)
- Medan Pustaka Mas (Medan, Surabaya, Pekan Baru)
- GPEX Sdn Bhd (Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru)CHIJ St Nicholas Girls School
- Fernvale Primary School
- Peirce Secondary
- Hougang Secondary School
- Westspring Secondary
- Rajaratnam School of International Studies
- Bachelors of Arts (Hons, 2 nd Upper) (English Literature)
- Singapore Teaching Award Recipient
- Post Graduate Diploma in Education
- Diploma in Public Relations and Mass Communication
- Diploma in Patisserie (Le Cordon Bleu, London)
- Beyond Magazine (Adept Learning)
- Horizons Magazine (Adept Learning)